Tuesday, February 9, 2010

You've got me thinking...

I was reading on Some Girls website the other day about being "good enough" and how so many of us try to reach perfectionism. She (like so many other times) has got me to thinking.

Have you noticed that we not only strive for perfectionism in ourselves but we also look for it and expect it in others. Women are the worst. We strive to have the perfect body, the perfect children, the perfect family, and the perfect home. We allow voices inside our heads, as well as other women, to tear us down. We are constantly comparing ourselves to others. I know personally that I have asked my husband or my oldest daughter "do I look that big from behind?" or "do my legs look like hers?" and countless other critiquing questions. Where we are, never seems to be good enough...we need more...we need better...we need perfect. This has also affected the way I receive compliments and give compliments...I myself have a very hard time receiving them from others, because I never feel good enough. I, like my friend, am resolving to repeat God's truth when I hear voices inside my head tell me that I'm not good enough, pretty enough, thin enough, smart enough, or that I'm not anything enough.

Here are just a few verses that are speaking to me:
Jeremiah 1:5 says "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Our frames were formed by God himself and He has set us apart. To be different, to be who He created us to be.

In 1 Timothy it says, "For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer." When I read this passage the words "everything is good" and "with thanksgiving" sticks out. Am I thankful for how God created me? Do I see that all God has created in me is good? Do I strive for better than what He has given me?

Romans 8:1 say "Therefor, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." If you are a dear sister in Christ my friend, then the condemning mean voice you hear inside your head is not the voice of God, it is the voice of the enemy. Trade that voice for the truth of God. Sisters, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." Philippians 4:8

This week I will listen for the voice that tells me that I'm not good enough or that what I have been given is not good enough and I'll replace it with God's truth that tells me that He thinks I am good enough and that He is ready and able to us me...just as I am.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Preach it, sister! I'm linking this in my post right now! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love this! What a great reminder. Thanks, and keep it up. I can't wait to read more.

    The "other" Michelle

    ReplyDelete